06 November 2008

Congratulations Mr. Obama

Jeremiah and I share many of the same concerns about the upcoming Obama presidency. Perhaps neither of us are among the many chosen people who are uplifted by his surprisingly dour rhetoric. I know neither of us are particularly excited about what kinds of policy options he will have the political capital to illustrate his widely-praised deliberative thoughtfulness over, what with the incorrigible Democratic Congress gaining strength right alongside him.

Regardless, this victory proves what the more optimistic among us have been saying this whole time: America has rapidly developed into a meritocracy wherein professionally arbitrary factors like race are of little impediment to personal success and opportunity. This is certainly not to be understated, for it is a fantastic thing. How long it has been this way is up for debate, but what is certain is that the sheer impossibility of an African-American president-elect is a living memory for my parents, and certainly for my grandparents. If Mr. Obama's election accelerates the wane of racial grievance ideology in America, well, at least we'll have one change we can truly believe in.

I did not support Mr. Obama's candidacy. In the way of full disclosure, I worked for his opposition. I expect to be highly critical of his policy in the future. But I would like to offer him my encouragement. The shallowness of President Bush's most fervent critics, the ones who would deny him the pleasure of calling himself their president, I hope will be moderated by conservatives who stand in thoughtful opposition of Mr. Obama's actions. The president of my country is my president, no matter what.

We do not need to throw Mr. Obama into Lake Michigan to know that he can't walk on water. We may know relatively little about how he will conduct himself in office, but of this much we should be sure. Let us hope that the better angels of Mr. Obama's nature guide him in his executive decisions over the next four or more years. He has my congratulations and fearful support.

No comments: